Friday, February 1, 2013

Waiting for Power

The electrician has been here and now we are waiting for Hydro One to come and connect us to the grid. Although we have some warmth, a wood furnace in the basement, and a generator for necessities such as lights and television (and this computer) it is so inconvenient. When it is cold, today it is -20, I often wonder how those people who came before us survived without the amenities that we take for granted. Would a log house, or a tipi, or a lodge of boughs and mud keep out the chilling arctic air? Would lamps of tallow or oil brighten the long nights of winter? What would you add to the stew of fish or moose meat? I am amazed that they could survive and thrive. We should honour those from the past and take time to learn from our elders.

I am not reading today, but rather enjoying the antics of Preston and Josh. Downstairs we were all trying to stand on our heads ( I think that this was Darrell's idea). I took up the challenge and I was doing well until Chip licked my face... so many laughs. Now we are watching Nemo again. They follow the antics of the little clownfish and I reflect again on our search for family and home and the power of love. Right now Dorie is in the net and Nemo is telling all the fish to "swim down together....keep swimming, keep swimming..." As we work together we can overcome the forces which imprison us. Nemo is lying on the bottom and his dad says, "It's ok, daddy's here, daddy's got you." I long for that feeling of protection and unconditional love. I love stories that share the circle of life. Now Nemo is back at school just like in scene one. He has a chance for a new beginning. At any age we need opportunities for new beginnings, time to put into practice the lessons we have learned.

Reflections from the hilltop in Griffith. Bye for now...time to give the boys their bottles and maybe they will nap. 

No comments:

Post a Comment